Conditions of Surrender/Return
We accept both dogs and cats in our pet surrender program. All animals 6 months of age and older should be up to date on their rabies vaccinations before being accepted into our foster program. Please contact your vet directly to have them send over official vet records with exam notes. We will not be able to process your application without these records and cannot accept copies of invoices.
We ask for a $10 non-refundable donation before we will process your application. This donation is tax deductible. This donation is to continue to fund our surrender program and is not refundable if your pet is not accepted.
If your pet is formerly from Secondhand Hounds, we will refund your donation once all paperwork is submitted.
We cannot guarantee acceptance of your animal. We do not accept non-SHH animals with the following:
- Animal aggression issues, including dogs and cats that must be the only animal in the home due to behavior issues
- Human aggression issues, including children and adults
- Multiple bite history of a person or other animals
- A Dangerous Dog or Potentially Dangerous Dog declaration by the county
- Severe separation anxiety
- Cat urination/defecation outside of the litter box
- Fill out the Pet Surrender/Return Application.
- After filling out the application, you will be redirected to PayPal to make the $10 non-refundable donation. This must be received before your application is processed.
- Vet records must be sent to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, unless if the animal is a stray and you do not have vet records.
For questions regarding the application or the surrender process, email email@example.com.
Thank you for thinking of Secondhand Hounds as a safe place to rehome your pet. Please do allow up to 48 business hours Monday – Friday (not including weekends) to hear from our team.