Come Work for Us!
Thank you for your interest in working for Secondhand Hounds! We are one of the largest animal rescues in Minnesota, founded in 2009.
As you can see on our team page, we have departments who work together to manage specific functions within SHH. Look below for our open positions and submit an application for consideration.
If you have questions, please email email@example.com.
Certified Veterinary Technician
Job Title: Certified Veterinary Technician
Reporting to: Veterinary Center Operations Director
Hours per week: 40 (subject to negotiation)
Position Type: Paid
The Veterinary Technician is responsible for ensuring support to vet center veterinarians, including support for appointments, procedures, surgeries and other vet center needs
- Assist and support veterinarians: field basic client questions and discuss general health recommendations with clients, including at-home care details, provide support through patient appointments, surgery preparation, and end of day write up
- Diagnostics: perform blood draws, urine analysis, ear smear/cytology, X-rays, dental rads, Idexx
- Provide treatments: vaccinations, injections, IV catheters, dental cleanings, and assist in surgery, including administering and monitoring anesthesia
- Veterinary Technician Certification or Licensure (CVT, RVT, LVT, or LVMT)
- 2 years of technician experience at an animal clinic
- Ability to read, understand and follow department and facility procedures and policies
- Experience handling dogs and cats during medical exams and procedures
- Experience communicating individually and in a team environment
- Experience working with computer applications
- Ability to lift 40-50 pounds daily
- Monday to Friday (with days off)
- Weekends (some Saturday morning shifts)
- Employee discount
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $19.00 – $22.00 per hour depending on qualifications
Title: Logistics Manager
Reporting to: Tashina Schumacher, Director of Operations
Hours per week: 20 hours/week, primarily remote
- Manage Adoption Processes – Oversee the existing logistics of the adoption process including transport, intake, applications, contracts, records, etc. and encourage/implement process improvements
- Logistics Team Management – Manage and support multiple staff members on the Logistics team and lead bi-weekly L10 meetings
- Records Compliance – Ensure compliance for foster and adoption records are met for the organization
- Reporting and Data Analysis – Generate reports and provide data analysis on key metrics and data for the logistics team
- Oversee Foster and Volunteer Management – Provide support and guidance for staff implementing the processes of onboarding foster and volunteers and brainstorm new ways to recruit and onboard new fosters and volunteers
- 2+ years of management experience
- 1-2 years of process improvement experience/project management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills representing the organization in a variety of situations including working with the general public and external partners
- Proficient computer skills: Gmail, Google Docs
- Great organizational and creative thinking skills
- Previous experience working in a non-profit setting, ideally in the animal welfare capacity
Job Title: Technology Manager
Reporting to: Tashina Schumacher, Director of Operations and Finance
Hours per week: 15-20 (some on-call work)
Position Type: Paid Hourly
The Technology Manager demonstrates a strong aptitude for technology and a professional demeanor, and possesses excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills. They work closely with other Foundation staff to collect, prepare, organize, protect, and analyze data.
- Review requests for IT support, evaluate options, provide recommendations and implement all technology needs across the organization. Act as liaison to outside vendors and contractors to provide additional managed IT, communications, and data-related services as needed.
- Oversee technology volunteer staff and third-party partners on behalf of the organization. Manage ticketing system and workload via Spiceworks platform.
- Establishing the procedures necessary for the IT Department to support the organization, such as onboarding, security, updates and patches, and change management. Troubleshoot database and technology challenges.
- Oversee and maintain the IT Budget. Write annual plans and budgets based on assessed needs and strategic plans.
- Developing, maintaining and implementing information technology policies, guidelines and best practices
- Coordinate with and support Donor Relations, Communications, Finance, and Programs functions across the Foundation, especially with data extraction, analysis, reports formulation, and technical support
- 4+ years of professional experience in an IT setting
- 2+ years management experience
- Certification or other training in computer technology, network administration, database administration, or related field.
- Strong computer skills including experience with Google Suite (Gmail, Google Docs), WordPress Website Software, RescueGroups.org software
- Ability to identify, document, define and streamline processes to drive efficiencies across the organization
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree
- Experience in a Non-Profit setting
Records and Contracts Coordinator
Job Title: Records and Contracts Coordinator
Reporting to: Logistics Manager
Hours per week: 20 hours per week
Position Type: Paid
- Record Management: scan, enter and upload all paper records for each animal in the rescue. Input records into rescue systems and communicate with the vetting team about what is needed for each animal. This includes updating scans, redacting personal information and overall organization of records for the animals in our program.
- Record Compliance: Ensure that all records for the rescue are accurate and entered into the system correctly. Ensure that all needed information and records for transport have arrived with the animal and are retained according to regulations and guidelines.
- Adoption Contracts and Records: Sign adoption contracts as a representative of Secondhand Hounds in accordance with current adoption eligibility protocol.
- Additional projects and responsibilities as needed
- Customer service – provide consistent and timely communication
- Proficient computer and technology skills: SHH Software, Gmail, Google Docs, Facebook, Microsoft Office, RightSignature
- Great organizational skills to manage multiple animal appointments and follow up records
- Strong attention to detail
Development Communications Coordinator
Job Title: Development Communications Coordinator
Reporting to: Director of Development
Hours per week: 10 – 15 (remote)
Position Type: Volunteer/Unpaid
The Development Communications Coordinator is responsible for generating receipts, sponsorship certificates and thank you messages for all monetary donations to our organization through a variety of sources.
Manage all communications for monetary donations (receipts, thank you emails/cards) on behalf of the organization via emails, printed letters, and handwritten cards using the following platforms:
- Income Log Google Sheet (checks and cash)
- Other company sites as we receive emails to confirm (U.S. Bank, Thrivent, etc.)
- PayPal Giving Fund (deposits are made/reports generated on the 25th of every month)
Manage sponsor based fundraising communications
- Manage document with sponsor information (name, email, donation amount, animal(s) sponsored, certificate information, payment)
- Confirm that payment has been received. Follow up with donors as needed.
- Create sponsorship certificate for each animal’s donor(s) complete with glamour shot
- Send sponsorship certificates to donors with short thank you note
- Work with members of staff to create specialty certificates as needed (i.e. holiday specific)
Manage Sustaining Members (Secondhand Heroes) communications
- Send welcome email, including sponsorship certificate and supporting company’s coupon codes
- Assist members with edits or cancelations to membership if needed
Certificates for sustaining members, sponsors, other times when appropriate
- Created/edited with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Certificates are emailed to donors along with receipt and thank you email
End of Year Receipts
- Send personalized end of year tax receipt
- Work with development team to generate and track distribution
- Respond to inquiries about how to donate, information about our various programs, etc. via email
- May occasionally include sending financial reports from leadership/finance team
- Provide a copy of our Form W-9 via email to companies/organizations when needed
- Must be proficient in Excel, Word, Google Drive
- Administrative experience preferred